In this article, let us understand the research motivation or what are the key motivational factors for students who opt for research.
Research Motivation Reasons
The research motivation may be either due to one or more of the following reasons:
- The desire to get a research degree along with its significance.
- The desire to face challenges in solving the unsolved problems. For example, concern over practical problem initiates research.
- The desire to get the intellectual joy of doing some creative work.
- The desire to be finding solutions which service to society.
- The aspiration to get respectability.
However, this is not an exhaustive list of research motivation factors for people to undertake research studies.
Many more factors such as government directives, employment conditions, curiosity about new things, social thinking and awakening may as well motivate people to perform research operations.
Objectives of Research
The purpose of the research is to know the answers to questions through the application of scientific procedures.
The main aim is to find out the truth or to know the answer which has not be known yet.
Every research study has its own purpose, and research objectives can be classified into following broad groupings.
- To get familiar with a phenomenon or to achieve new insights into it (study with this object is termed as exploratory or formulative.
- To put accurately the characteristics of a particular individual, situation or a group (study with this object is known as descriptive research study).
- To determine the occurrence of which something happens or association with something else (study with this object is known as diagnostic research study).
- To test a hypothesis of a causal relationship between variables (the study is known as hypothesis-testing research studies).
Significance of Research
In the context of Hudson Maxim. Progress is possible with increased amounts of research.
Research instructs scientific and inductive thinking, and it promotes the development of logical habits of thinking and organization.
The increasingly sophisticated nature of business and government has focused their attention on the use of research in solving operational problems.
Nowadays, our economic system highly relies on the research to formulate the government policies.
For example, the budget of any country requires the analysis of people’s needs with expected expenditure required to meet those needs. In such conditions, research is heavily required to equate the cost of probable revenues to cover the cost of meeting people’s needs.
Research Process – Importance of knowing the process
Research methodology gives a student the necessary training in gathering material and arranging that information.
It also helps a student for participation in the field work whenever required.
It also trains in techniques for the collection of data which is appropriate to particular problems,
The research process also helps in the course of using statistics, questionnaires, controlled experimentation, recording evidence, sorting it out and interpreting it.
Importance of knowing the research methodology or how research is carried stems from the following considerations:
- The knowledge of methodology provides proper training especially to the new research worker and enables him to do better research.
- The methodology also helps the researcher to develop disciplined thinking or to observe the field objectively.
- Knowledge of how to do research will instruct the ability to estimate and use research results with reasonable confidence.
- Research methodology knowledge enables the consumers of research results to evaluate them and make rational decisions.